Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Endurance, Character and Hope from the Word

3 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. ESV bible Romans 5:3-5

This is one of my favorite quotes in the bible, one of many. As a Christian who happens to be disabled, this gives me so much to say when people from the "emergent church-type movement" ask me why I am not healed yet.
This verse clearly shows me that sometimes God gives us hardships to fortify us for upcoming obsticals. I can endure my problems easier since I rely on the hope that my life and actions and endurance glorify God.
Anyone who knows me, knows I realy dislike being called an inspiration, but I can tell you that any inspiration you may see in me is only from God and for His glory.

Endurance, Character, Hope.

I have talked to many people, without disabilities, who say if they were in my shoes they would most likely be in despair. These are three powerful words but hope is my favorite by far.

I have endurance because I have a fighting spirit that has come from God. My will to perservere in the face of adversity is shear stubbornness and will power to not only survive but THRIVE!

The American Heritage® Dictionary defines Character as
-The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes one…
most of my friends would say I have a polar opposite character as in, I am all over the map! I can be quite serious and introspective but anyone who has heard my laugh know that it is exercised very often.

Hope
"How can you be so hopeful when you are in pain all the time?" is a question I get incredibly often and my question is how can I not? For me to "be in the deapths of dispair" (as Anne Shirley would say) would not do anything for my pain and probably make it worse! When I am running low on hope I have incredible friends who will lend me some of theirs.

Thank you for reading my ramblings :)
May God bless you!

6 comments:

FoundProdigalDaughter said...

does it bother you if i say that i find the fact you are able to have hope and a positive outlook and able to keep focusing on God despite the disabilities and challenges you face is an inspiration to me? I know you said you dislike being said you are an inspiration...so wondered if I worded it the way i did if that would make it any less dreaded? You are so strong in your faith and I admire that...I want to get there too someday but the simple fact of the matter for me is...I'm not and it is going to be a process before I am able to be. Anyway, this is your blog, not mine so I won't do anymore babbling on here. ***HUGS*** Take care and blessings.

Reformed Anon. Girl in Pain said...

Nicolle
for the record I do not mind when people call me an ispiration because of my faith, I take no credit for it at all though, it is not of me but of God.
I dislike it when people, upon finding out I have a disability, but am also cheerful, call me an inspiration because I get up everyday and "face" life.
Life with a disability is no more or less scary than life without a disability.
Feel free to comment as much or as little as you like!!

Anonymous said...

I loooooooooooove Romans 5:3-5 :) :)
We have so many things in common, it's kind of scary........... O.o Are you possibly my twin sister?
:)
I do think sometimes that I was probably switched at birth or adopted... So could be possible... :)
I think I must agree with you because life with God = life with God no matter the circumstances. I really want to say "however" after saying this, but I'm going to stop myself.
Praying that today is better,
Love,
Night Owl

Anonymous said...

P.S. Yay for Anne Shirley. :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. again (sorry!) I don't mean yay for the depths of despair... But I do love Anne!

Reformed Anon. Girl in Pain said...

I knew what you meant night owl. Don't worry!
I enjoy Anne of Green Gables a lot too.
Soli Deo Gloria