Saturday, February 7, 2009

Have you hugged a calvinist today?

I am a calvinist.

I believe in TULIP and follow the 5 Solas with every fibre of my being.

When I tell people I am a calvinist, they say, "No, you aren't! are you? you're too nice to be a Calvinist!"

I chuckle about this every time but then I wonder, in our rigidity of doctrine and Sola Scriptura, do we forget the people we are dealing with, in relationship with, living with are also people who require our kindness.

we don't have to agree on doctrine, (or lack thereof) and I am not saying one can never be rude or have a bad day, but we need to treat people nicely.

I , too, have met my fare share of unkind people who happen to be calvinists, that is why I am filled with such wonder and praise that God kept working on my heart to reveal the truth of the gospel to me, because the first peoples I have met in my life who are calvinists had nothing but distain for me as a catholic.

I am just saying lets try not to tar and feather all people of a particular group as the same. 

We are told not to stereotype people but so far what I have heard is that it is ok to stereotype calvinists, hence the statement, "you're too nice to be a Calvinist!"

so my question to you is.................................

Have you hugged a Calvinist today?

Soli Deo Gloria

REformed Girl

2 comments:

Stegokitty said...

Hey kiddo.
Probably two years ago (or more) I thought of making a bumper sticker with that exact phrase "Have You Hugged a Calvinist Today?" Then I thought of one even more humorous "Have You Hugged a Calvinist ... Lately?" which is an obvious rip-off from the Ford commercials.

Christopher Lake said...

Hello, Reformed Anon. Girl! I'm a fellow Calvinist with a disability (Cerebral Palsy), and I just found your blog. Very encouraging to know that there are other Calvinists with disabilities out there!

I wonder how Reformed churches are in Canada in ministering to "us"? Here in the U.S., they try... but too often, no matter how much I try to tell them, they have very little idea of the struggles that people with disbilities face (finding employment, reliable transportation, overcoming the perceptions of others, etc.).

Keep blogging! If you are on Facebook, feel free to add me as a friend (I'm there under this name)! I basically use my Facebook page as my blog.

-- Christopher Lake, in Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.