Monday, October 3, 2011

freedom

I've recently been on a journey. On a journey with a good friend of mine, a person I call my sister whom I've known for a very long time. I have been helping her with an exciting journey although I times it has been scary, seemed like it was never going to end, tence, and frightening.
My friend has an illness named Crohn's disease, Crohn's is an autoimmune condition where your body essentially attacks your intestines/colon causing embarrassing symptoms like excess gas and diarrhea. My friend was essentially trapped in her bathroom, and she couldn't go out, couldn't do any errands or things that most people take for granted that you're going to be able to do. Having a chronic illness myself I can understand how she feels but I feel I've had more freedom than she has had.
But that has all changed.
I recently went and spent two weeks in hospital with my friend, slept at her side. It was a strange occurrence to be in the hospital but not IN the hospital. I was glad I could offer comfort, distraction and entertainment in equal portions. I was stalwartly waiting with herfor her to be free.
My friend had surgery on September 17 aafter every other option to treat the Crohn's had failed. During the surgery I helped take to her stuffed animal named Ginger and cried quite a few tears and prayed quite a few prayers that she would come through the surgery and be offered the freedom that we hoped would happen from this surgery.
When you're chronically ill, sometimes it's fun to name your mobility aids, wheelchair, catheter, ileostomy or colostomy bag.
Meet Rebecca, she is my friend's new partner in crime, partner in freedom. Rebecca and her purse ( my friend"s ileostomy) are beginning to offer my friend freedom.
It's hard to put into words how this freedom affects me, how it affects my heart, how it affects how we'll be able to be together, and all the things it affects in her life. Rebecca brought hope. Rebecca brought freedom. Rebecca brought a new sense of one's self of one's body and ownership of that body.
I am on a journey. We are on a journey. Hopefully it's a long one filled with hope and freedom from bondage. My heart is light when I think of how much this is changing my best friend's life and how brave she is, and how wonderful she is, and how strong she is. She is my inspiration, my partner in crime, the person who knows me better than I know myself, my worst enemy *smiles* and my best ally.
I love U. sissy, thank you for letting me be a part of your freedom and thank you for letting me write about it here to share your freedom with others.
Soli Deo Gloria
REformed girl

No comments: