Tuesday, March 31, 2009

step from the darkness

a step from the darkness

captives that are free
finally going home
so much to see
the sun is bright

the doors are open
pale faces emerge
the keys are broken
find where we belong

no more fear
of echoing steps
wipe your tear
WE are free

can I learn to cook?
if I have a chance
maybe read a book
so many choices

say goodbye
to cold showers
releaving sigh
away from icy stares

say goodbye to life in prison
say goodbye to 'us' and 'them'
say goodbye to abuse
say goodbye my friends

say hello to choices
say hello to life
stepping from the darkness
into the light


Written March 31, 2009

Today is monumental.
Maybe or maybe not for you but for my friends I am honoured to support, today is a BIG day.

Today, this day right here, all the institutions(prisons) for people with developmental disabilities close their doors. FOREVER!

I have heard horror stories, so many to count and they aren't mine to tell anyway. I have been traumatized by listening to those stories, I couldn't imagine living them.

But I am feeling so thankful for this huge step in our world.

A step from the darkness into the light of community.

No comments: